Sunday, December 31, 2017

Yo relem "injenyè"

"Yo relem injenyè." - "They call me 'engineer.'"

As you read this first line, you may find yourself thinking "that doesn't sound much like a proverb, we usually start with proverbs" and you would be correct. I've been thinking about my final post to this blog for a while and I tried to decide what I wanted to talk about, the things I wanted to say and the things I wouldn't say. Since the blog is written in almost report format I was (admittedly relieved) to realize I needn't restate all of the things we'd already discussed! After near-excessive thought, I decided I wanted to keep this closing message short with a couple thoughts more personal in nature than technical. The title of today's post comes from a thought I'd actually had shortly after arriving in Haiti. I'd realized that the team and other people in the village referred to Zach and I (later Ashley and I) as "engineer," sometimes appending it as a prefix for our names and other times simply by that. It was no surprise to me of course, why we were referred to in this way, but I found myself immediately pondering its implications. I realized two things about this immediately with the second in effect a result of the first. The first was that I noticed an air of respect that came with the title which conveyed a sense of both confidence and trust between myself and the people of Cangé. I found myself reminded of the way people at home might readily trust a doctor or a priest of their respective faith. The second, as a result of this conveyed trust, was acceptance and attentive listening to what I said and my ideas involving solutions to problems. This seemingly small gesture had an appreciable effect on my personal growth these several months.

As I worked in Haiti and with the team I realized that both my approach and my position in working with them was very different from what I'm used in a work environment. I'm used to a more hands-on work experience and completing tasks myself. I found myself in a different dynamic here in which my position was more consultatory and managerial in nature which I found honestly maddening at times. However, I realized this had more to do with my preference for consistency over changing dynamics and retrospectively, I'm beyond grateful for this exit from my comfort zone. I gained a confidence I didn't know I lacked, and I gained leadership skills I didn't know I needed. I've learned what it means to work cooperatively, how to recognize my own strengths and weaknesses as well as those of other so that we can plan to work tandemly such that our collective strengths are amplified and weaknesses minimized. It would take me a lot of time and likely a couple thousand of words to talk truly about all that I've learned, but these are a few of the quick things I wanted to share with all of you.

To say that my time in Haiti and its people have affected me would be an understatement. It would be more accurate to say my time and all of the connections I've made have begun and continue to mold me into something more. I don't yet know how this "more" will look in the end, but I understand that it signifies the person and engineer I am becoming. I will treasure this time for the rest of my life and confess that I too have received much as a result of it. As I finish writing this and wrap up this blog, I want to extend my thanks for travling alongside me from home and assuring me that these writings actually have an audience. It has been a pleasure for me to share my experiences with you, and I would be more than happy to share my future endeavors with each of you so interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment